- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, julienned
- 1 large fennel bulb, cored, cut into fourths,
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp shallots, chopped
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 small cans good quality, organic diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- ½ tsp dried chili flakes
- pinch of saffron
- ½ tsp anise seed, toasted and ground
- ¼ tsp orange zest
- 12 ounces organic tomato juice
- ¼ bunch basil, chiffonade, large pinch
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp grapeseed oil
- A few tbsp white wine
- 4-5 clams per person
- 3-4 Saltspring Island Mussels per person
- 3-4 scallops per person
- 3 Fisherman’s Daughter Shrimp, peeled
- ½ lbs crab meat
- 1 - 1 ½ lbs assorted fish, such as Blackburn’s haddock, Loch Duart Salmon, wild halibut or any other fish you have on hand or enjoy
Heat grapeseed oil in large pot and add onions and fennel.
Cook over medium low heat until they start to caramelize and fennel feels soft.
Add garlic and shallots, cook for 2 minutes then add white wine and reduce liquid by half.
Add canned tomatoes, agave nectar, chili flakes, saffron, anise seed, orange zest, reserved fennel fronds, and tomato juice.
Cook for at least 20 minutes.
Puree 1/3 to 1/2 of mixture in blender then return to pot.
Add basil and salt and pepper to taste.
In a saute pan heat second measure of grapeseed oil, add clams and second measure of white wine, cover and cook for a few minutes.
Add remaining seafood and cover, cook until almost done.
Add bouillabaisse sauce, stir and cook until seafood is done.
Place in bowl, garnish with reserved basil chiffonade. Serve with grilled garlic toast.