- 1x whole side of fresh salmon (roughly 900g)
- 50ml Arbikie chilli vodka
- 3x tbsp demerara sugar
- 6x tbsp rock salt
- 1x & 1/2 tbsp ground black pepper
- 2x lime zests
- In a mixing bowl spoon out the sugar, salt and pepper then zest the limes into the mixing bowl and mix together.
- Measure out the vodka and pour into the bowl and stir thoroughly.
- Lay out two overlapping sheets of cling film and place an additional sheet of baking paper in the middle.
- Then place the salmon fillet on top of the baking paper and spoon over the curing mix but make sure that the fish is completely covered.
- Wrap the salmon in the baking paper like a parcel then tightly wrap in the cling film and place into the fridge (on a tray just to be safe) and place a chopping board on top weighed down by some tins.
- Take the fish out after 48 hours and gently rub off the cure then pat dry.
- Slice into the desired thickness and serve.
Optional – To enhance the flavors of the cure even further,
- After the first 24 hours, take the fish out and gently remove the cure then pat dry.
- Roughly chop a bunch of dill and mix together with x1 tbsp of ground black pepper and 25ml of Arbikie chilli vodka.
- Place the new mix on top of the salmon and wrap back up as before, weigh it down and leave for the additional 24 hours.
- When ready, there is no need to remove this additional cure so just slice and serve.